Language Technology News for 2003
New contents are provided biweekly. Please email any relevant news to .
- Hitachi Telecom (USA) and Digital Speech Systems announced Sales Agreement
Hitachi Telecom will offer its customers WinInn Series Voice Mail systems manufactured by Digital Speech.
- VR Solution from TuVox to handle post-Christmas Tech Support
Retailers annually dread the post-Christmas rush of people returning presents that don't fit, don't match, don't work or simply aren't wanted. But the return counter isn't the only place gift-getters turn after Christmas.
- Patent granted to EchoMail emphasizes Complexity of Electronic Mail
EchoMail's patent is for a "Relationship management system and method using asynchronous electronic messaging." Put more simply, it's about automating email responses.
- Nuance to receive 2003
Nuance announced today that Technology Marketing Corporation's(TM) Customer Inter@ction Solutions® magazine has named Nuance Call Steering(TM) 1.0 a Product of the Year for 2003.
- RNIB launches Voice-enabled book catalogue
The Royal National Institute of the Blind (RNIB) is to launch a Talking Books catalogue using speech technology.
- Connexor Machinese Phrase Tagger Version 4.3 Released
Machinese Phrase Tagger is a fast text analyser that enriches the text with base forms and tags for part of speech, morphology and basic meaningful entities (e.g. modifier-head sequences).
- French Highway Subsidiary to select ScanSoft Technology for Traffic Information Service
ScanSoft, Inc. announced that Cofiroute has selected SpeechPearl(R) speech recognition software, a member of the SpeechWorks(R) Suite of Network Speech Solutions, as the core technology for its new real-time traffic information service, Traffic-One.
- Elan Speech launches British version of Elan Sayso.
The specialist in voice synthesis enriches its multilingual offering, Elan Sayso, reinforcing its position on the British market with two new voices.
- Nokia gets Multilingual with Secure Access
Nokia Corp's enterprise solutions business group has updated its Secure Access System SSL browser-based remote access technology with support for new languages and improved support for web-based applications.
- Very helpful information system only fails with emotional politeness
A nice little story about strength and weakness of Speech Dialogue Systems.
- Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English (MICASE) now available
We strongly encourage people to order the "downloadable version" instead of the CD-ROM version of the corpus. This way, you can simply type in a unique address/URL in your web browser and save the corpus to your local hard disk.
- First-rate mobile phone organizer 5500 with Babel's Speech
- The P2B (Person to Bot) Consortium released a new Cyber Community to unite humans and chatbots
This new technology allows users to bring a TANU (Transplantable Artificial Neurological Units) AI chatbot with them when they chat.
- Product release of LingCom's Speech Signal Analysis software lingWAVES
lingWAVES represents a modern tool to analyze technical signals on the PC, mainly used for speech and video recordings.
- Search Engines as Personal Shoppers?
In early December, popular search engine Ask Jeeves signed a deal with PriceGrabber.com to create an Ask Jeeves branded comparative shopping web site.