Natural Language Parsing
- Center for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI)
- Natural Language Theory and Technology (NLTT)
- Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)
- Tsujii Laboratory
- Language Technology Lab (LT Lab)
- Special Interest Group Natural Language Parsing (SIGPARSE)
Parsing (from Latin "pars orationis" = parts of speech) is the syntactic analysis of languages. Natural Language Parsing is the syntactic analysis of natural languages, such as Finnish or Chinese. The objective of Natural Language Parsing is to determine parts of sentences (such as verbs, noun phrases, or relative clauses), and the relationships between them (such as subject or object). Unlike parsing of formally defined artificial languages (such as Java or predicate logic), parsing of natural languages presents problems due to ambiguity, and the productive and creative use of language.